Here you will find out about the latest news and updates.
We are looking for ambassadors, supporters, partners, donors, investors, future customers, community members and more. Contact us!
May 13, 2019
Helpful FinTech Regulations
This week started with a very insightful presentation by global compliance leader Yana Afanasieva, our Head of Regulatory Affairs and Board Member, about “New Helpful Regulations for FinTech Startups in Switzerland and Liechtenstein.”
“The place to be” during this Monday’s lunch period was the world’s biggest blockchain hub Trust Square in Zürich, where Yana spoke about the latest trends and developments in the fintech and blockchain regulation space across the two leading countries in these topics.
Yana started with a closer look at the Swiss FinTech regimes touching the regulatory requirements for managing client funds or serving as a financial intermediary under the Swiss “Sandbox” or “FinTech License” including banking activities exempted from those regulations.
She continued by explaining the primary differentiation of Liechtenstein and illustrated the Payments and E-money regimes with passportable licenses under PSD2 and EMD. The Liechtenstein “Blockchain Act Draft” covered the requirements specific to crypto and blockchain companies and services.
Afterward, Yana did a deep dive into the current and future AML and Onboarding procedures highlighting existing gaps and potential improvements.
Finally, she wrapped-up the presentation with an extensive Q&A session for the excited audience on-site.
Feel free to download the slide deck and get in touch with Yana directly in case of any questions or comments related to the areas of compliance and regulations for FinTech or Crypto startups.
April 26, 2019
Meet the Team: Patrick
Oyoba is all about people: The community, employees, customers. Get to know our team members a little better in our new series: “Meet the Team”.
«Dare to be unconventional.»
Hi folks, my name is Patrick. I’m happy to share some personal details with you:
My role at Oyoba: Chief Operating Officer & Co-Founder
My professional background: 20+ years as a leader in banking doing change management and business development, 5+ years as an entrepreneur and consultant in the fintech and blockchain innovation space.
My educational background: Master in Digital Business, Bachelor in Business Economics.
My personal life: Proud daddy of a baby boy and two girls in a patchwork family, massive fan of FC Barcelona (més que un club), world traveler and explorer of other cultures (especially food).
My most impressive experiences: Inequality; seeing the most impoverished people living next to the wealthy ones while working in India, modesty; playing football with kids in the slums of Argentina while volunteering as a sports coach, simplicity; getting to know many gentle and helpful locals while traveling all around the world.
My motivation: You need to take change into your own hands to make it happen.
My wish: Being able to motivate as many people as necessary to cultivate a different world for our children and us through distributed prosperity.
Grasp the opportunity now to join us on our journey!
April 12, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
We have compiled a list of questions we get frequently and provided the respective answers based on our current working assumptions.
In case you are missing an important question, drop us an email and we will update the list.
March 28, 2019
Survey #1: Community! But how?
We created a short feedback form so that we can learn how YOU would like to engage with us.
It’s just 10 simple questions. So it’s quick. Promised!
March 23, 2019
"Be where innovation happens".
For us as a customer-centric and community-driven startup, it is important to follow the latest trends and learn from the people around us. For this reason, we visited this year’s edition of Start Summit, Switzerland’s leading conference for entrepreneurship and technology.
We found ourselves among the 2,500 leaders, visionaries and young minds and enjoyed interesting discussions about banking, social finance, blockchain and some of the other tech trends. Let us share with you some of our impressions:
(1) Reinventing the financial industry was a very present topic, with a number of fintech startups presenting their cases, including the neo banks N26 and Neon. It was interesting to learn about their success factors and to understand the challenge of running a business in this market. It was also clear, that digital finance is still at the beginning and that there is much room for innovation and new players.
(2) Blockchain and AI remain to be among the hottest tech topics, but the question of how these technologies will shape our future is still broadly discussed, which leaves room for visionaries and new ideas. While fintech companies already had working solutions in the market, the blockchain cases were mostly still in a prototype stage, which is symptomatic for the early days of this technology.
(3) ) The topic of social and sustainable businesses finally gets the deserved attention outside the realm of philanthropy and NGOs. Many like-minded people shared their views with us and confirmed the distinct trend towards impact finance. A fireside chat on social impact investments revealed that it’s a common misconception that social impact investments yield weaker returns and highlighted the benefits of sustainable business models.
We thank everyone for sharing their insights with us and congratulate the Start Summit team for organizing a fantastic event. We hope to see you all again next year.
March 15, 2019
Oyoba joins the seif Impact Academy.
When we started Oyoba, we knew that we had to do more than leveraging the latest technologies to deliver value to our customers. In a society that is increasingly in distress, it seemed more important than ever to take the social responsibility we all have seriously.
With Oyoba, we think we are seeing three areas where we can have a true social impact:
(1) We want to make it easier for people to manage their finances, with one of our clear goals to help our customers to avoid debt or get out of it. Unlike many other consumer finance companies, our business model does not rely on debt.
(2) Banking is a lot about capital allocation, from the way a bank’s balance sheet is managed, to the investments it makes available to its customers. From day one, our business concept had an ethical approach to investments and is a fundemental part of our values.
(3) Oyoba was born with the idea of a company that is owned by its customers. While this is not a new idea in itself, tech startups have not embraced this model yet. It will allow us to deliver superior value to our customers and promote a type of organization that can help fighting the increasing inequality in our world. This is why we are striving to reinvent the cooperative for the 21st century.
We are are excited to be part of the seif Impact Academy, where we will learn more about the process of driving and measuring social impact.
March 8, 2019
Join us on Meetup.
We are excited to announce our first Meetup group. This group will be a vital place for our future events. Our goal is to set up local hubs across Europe and the first will be centered around Zurich, Switzerland. If you are interested in helping us setting up local communities and become one of our ambassadors, feel free to contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org. More information on this program will follow.
February 10, 2019
A message from the founders.
What an amazing year 2018 was! Like a rollercoaster, we went through the ups and downs of crypto summer and winter and gained a lot of valuable experience during that time.
Now it’s time to further turn our vision and plans into actions and we’d like to invite all of you to join us on this amazing journey and become part of this movement.
On this page, you’ll find all the relevant updates and we look forward to getting your responses and inputs.
Together with you, we’re building the future of banking!
Patrick, Kevin, Kurt